A special initiative of the Vienna BioCenter Summer School
- The 'Talents-for-Future' program will provide a research opportunity in biology to highly motivated and talented students, independent of their socio-economic background. We particularly encourage applications from talented students of underprivileged backgrounds, who would benefit the most from such an opportunity, which could be truly career-enabling.
- The research internship will foster scientific exchange between scientists of different parts of the world and provide a culturally enriching experience.
- The program aims to increase the impact, breadth, and diversity of our highly successful international Vienna BioCenter Summer School
Selected fellows will participate in a three-month research internship at the Vienna BioCenter (VBC) in Vienna, Austria, one of the top research institutions in Europe.
- Dates: 1 June 1 – 31 August 2023 (3-month program)
- Application deadline: 28.2.2023
- Selected fellows
- will receive a fellowship that will cover travel, accommodation, health insurance and a monthly stipend
- will conduct their own research during the 3-month research internship in the world-class international research environment of the Vienna BioCenter (VBC)
- will participate in lectures, social activities, and a closing summer school symposium where they will present their own research projects to their colleagues and the VBC community
- need to have a valid passport and may need to apply for a work visa at an Austrian Consulate
- Have completed at least 3 years of university courses in biology or relevant subject areas (senior undergraduate or master level students)
- a final bachelor or master degree is not required
- students already enrolled in a PhD are not eligible to apply
- Basic knowledge of biological research and technical laboratory skills; prior lab experience is beneficial but not required;
- English proficiency (English will be the working language)
- High level of motivation and willingness to learn
- Excellent team-player and ability to work in a group
- Commitment to attend the entire three months (June 1st – August 31st)
Stem Cells, Development and Regeneration
This special program is currently only open to students from selected target countries. Target countries are selected by the VBC Summer School steering committee from low-income countries in Africa, Central/South America or Asia and will change every year. This year, the Talents-for-Future program is inviting applications from Ghana, Costa Rica and Peru. If a research institute or university department outside Europe would like to be considered for the program the department head or lead researcher should contact the program administrator.