A special initiative of the Vienna BioCenter Summer School
- The 'Talents-for-Future' program will provide a research opportunity in biology to highly motivated and talented students, independent of their socio-economic background. We particularly encourage applications from talented students of underprivileged backgrounds, who would benefit the most from such an opportunity, which could be truly career-enabling.
- The research internship will foster scientific exchange between scientists of different parts of the world and provide a culturally enriching experience.
- The program aims to increase the impact, breadth, and diversity of our highly successful international Vienna BioCenter Summer School
Selected fellows will participate in a three-month research internship at the Vienna BioCenter (VBC) in Vienna, Austria, one of the top research institutions in Europe.
- Dates: 1 June – 31 August 2024 (3-month program)
- Application deadline: 28.2.2024
- Selected fellows
- will receive a fellowship that will cover travel, accommodation, health insurance and a monthly stipend
- will conduct their own research during the 3-month research internship in the world-class international research environment of the Vienna BioCenter (VBC)
- will participate in lectures, social activities, and a closing summer school symposium where they will present their own research projects to their colleagues and the VBC community
- need to have a valid passport and may need to apply for a work visa at an Austrian Consulate
- Have completed at least 3 years of university courses in biology or relevant subject areas (senior undergraduate or master level students)
- a final bachelor or master degree is not required
- students already enrolled in a PhD are not eligible to apply
- Basic knowledge of biological research and technical laboratory skills; prior lab experience is beneficial but not required;
- English proficiency (English will be the working language)
- High level of motivation and willingness to learn
- Excellent team-player and ability to work in a group
- Commitment to attend the entire three months (June 1st – August 31st)
This special program is currently only open to students from selected target countries. Target countries are selected by the VBC Summer School steering committee from low-income countries in Africa, Central/South America or Asia and will change every year. This year, the Talents-for-Future program is inviting applications from Ghana, Costa Rica and Peru. If a research institute or university department outside Europe would like to be considered for the program the department head or lead researcher should contact the program administrator.