Scientific excellence and signs of independence are the hallmarks of VIP2. We seek highly motivated and talented scientists of all nationalities to conduct ambitious research projects on an international, interdisciplinary and inter-sectoral campus. The dates for the opening of the 2023 call will be announced later this year.
Scientific excellence and signs of independence are the hallmarks of VIP2. We seek talented scientists of all nationalities to conduct ambitious research projects on an international, interdisciplinary and inter-sectoral campus.
- Applicants must hold a PhD in life sciences or related disciplines such as physics, engineering, chemistry, computer science, or mathematics.
- The proposed scientific project must match the research carried out on campus (applicants should name one or more potential host groups).
- Interdisciplinary and inter-lab projects are highly encouraged.
- Candidates are kindly requested to communicate with their preferred mentor(s) prior to and during composing their individual research projects.
- Applicants must have at least one first-author publication or manuscript published on bioRxiv or arXiv.
- By the time of the call deadline (15 June) applicants must also undertake transnational mobility according to the Marie Curie Action. That is, they should not have resided in or carried out their main activity (work, studies) in Austria for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call deadline.
Applications can only be submitted via our online portal. The following information must be provided in the on-line form:
- Personal information: name, contact details, current place of education/employment
- Main scientific area (choose one from the 7 areas at the VBC) and up to 5 keywords
- DOI of at least one first-author publication or manuscript
- Contact details for two referees. The system will send an automatic email to referees with instructions. At least one reference letter has to be uploaded into the system BEFORE the application can be submitted.
The following documents have to be uploaded (ALL 5 documents are required, your application will not be considered if they are not provided):
- CV with details of education, scientific training starting from Bachelor degree, honours, etc.
- PDFs of transcripts and certificates of training
- A five-page scientific project proposal
- A one-page explanation of the project written for the public, outlining the societal impact
- Written proof (letter or email) from the chosen group leader indicating his/her support for the application.
Application period from 1 March to 15 June 2022 (2359CET)
- Step 1: Application review from 15 June to 16 September
- Step 2: On-site interview - Mid October
- Results: End of October
- Starting Date: 1 January 2023
Guide for Applicants
- A PDF "Guide for Applicants" is available for download here.
We have tried to provide information on those questions that are asked most often (see below). If there is something that is not covered here please do not hesitate to contact the program manager: Dr. Yan Sun.
A maximum of 15 positions can be awarded per call.
Yes, provided that you will complete your PhD prior to beginning employment.
There are no nationality restrictions, but candidates must undertake transnational mobility, which means that candidates must not have resided or carried out their main activity in Austria for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call deadline.